I can’t believe it’s been two years. I feel like it was just last year that I was composing the first year in review survey from Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner. And now here we are at year two and I’m just sort of flabbergasted. How did it even get to 2017?
Also I am only doing some of the Year in Review. I just couldn’t set aside the amount of time I needed to give this as much thought as I wanted to – but I did get through 20 questions!
Number Of Books You Read: 286. Can we just take a moment to be absolutely shocked. I am floored and I read this.
Number of Re-Reads: 0
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy for sure. I am a fantasy fanatic. It’s my Go To Genre for most of my reading. I wish it was more SF, but it just wasn’t as easy to pick these up this year.
1. Best Book You Read In 2017?
I am going to pick one for each genre because it’s late at night, this post needs to get done, and I can’t just pick one.
Can you tell there’s a trend for covers? It’s mostly blues and purples. For reference: Adult SFF: An Unkindness of Ghosts, Adult Fiction: Little Fires Everywhere. YA SF: Rebel Seoul. YA F: The Reader.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I thought I would really like The Book of Bera and I DNF’d it. You can read why, but I don’t want to dwell on it.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
Yikes, this is hard. Especially since I just keep reading like seriously hyped books. So if I had to pick one, I’d pick Heart of Iron. I know this is cheating since it doesn’t come out till 2018, but I’ve been in 2018 ARC mode for the last two weeks now.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
I have been a major super fan of Anna Marie McLemore and Traci Chee. I always squeal with Axie Oh too though!
5. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?
Best Series Ender: Total tie between Beneath the Sugar Sky and BInti the Night Masquerade. I know these are cheating answers from 2018, but I didn’t read many ‘series enders’ in 2017.
Best Sequel: Dragons of Nova. Still kicking myself I haven’t read Rebels of Gold yet.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
I discovered so many really great authors in 2017, so this isn’t even fair. Why do I keep putting myself through this torture?! I’m going to have to go with Katherine Locke, The Girl with the Red Balloon because she has given me also the BEST RECS.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I don’t normally read graphic novels and I really loved Monstress and want to read We Are Okay.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/
This was probably going to have to be Alchemists of Loom. That book sucked me in like a little fly in a whirpool
9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
This is somewhat disappointing, but probably none. HOLD UP. Not because there aren’t any that are worthwhile, but because as a person, I don’t normally re-read books. I never have. So I’m just being honest here people.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?
Um, the Queen Anna Marie McLemore. Wild Beauty is a gorgeous piece of art and my signed arc is my lifeline.
11. Most memorable character of 2017?
Gah, WHY! I don’t think I can even pick one, nope. I am going to be that annoying human and just not answer. I can’t. This is like what is your favorite child.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
Pachinko. It was gorgeous inside and out. I recently saw a new cover of it and it almost stopped my heart. EVERYONE GO READ THIS BOOK.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?
Got to be The Fifth Season because everyone was like, you have to read this, and yes, touche everyone. I had to read this
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?
Uh oh, this answer also has to be The Fifth Season. I’ve clearly not thought this entire survey through.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?
Am I possibly getting more sassy as this survey goes on? What if I say no to finding this quote? It’s not that I don’t want to! But my eyeballs are falling out of my skull. Yes you could say, why are you doing this so late. I could find a million excuses. But I can also say I am runningY on empty and have been for a while. You will find out all about it in my 2018 new years resolutions post.
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?
Monsoon Dream by Topaz Winters and 1Q84 by Haruki Marukami
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Maybe See What I Have Done for a few reasons which you can read about in my review.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
The relationship in The Tiger’s Daughter
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
The two protagonists from Oathbound.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Elise Kova is such a fantastic fantasy writer. So Dragons of Nova definitely takes the cake.
A thousand apologies for not completing this, I promise, you’ll get answers to other questions too! Make sure to let me know the answers to these questions for you!
Subscribe for more reviews