I am so happy that you are considering sending me a book! Please read further below on my policy.
I am currently inundated with books to review and review requests, so please don’t expect a response. I don’t have enough time to respond to everyone and I do save the emails if I think we’d be a good fit, I just won’t contact until I have the space to feature it. Thanks for understanding!
Because I have an ongoing reading list and current commitments to books I will review: I have to be quite picky. I take into consideration timing (especially if it hasn’t been released yet) as well as maintaining a good balance between books I have been given and those I have bought. I put a lot of work into my blog, the community on it, and my reviews, so if it is clear that you haven’t read this policy (before sending me a request) please understand that I will delete it.
I work full time and blog in all my spare moments, so I have to be selective of what I can do, without falling over or being a workaholic hermit, so please do us both the favor and read this policy. That way we won’t get our feelings hurt! I am going to start with the things I do not accept and work my way up so that you can find out pretty soon if you do not fall in the right category!! I also do not get paid, or accept payment.
Things I am SUPER selective of:
– non-fiction requests: I have reviewed a few non-fiction books on my blog before, and I read biographies and other books that are really informative. But I have to be extra selective because my primary audience is here for my fiction tastes. So please understand if I do not choose your book, there are plenty of other bloggers who would love it!
Things I more readily accept:
There can always be exceptions, so to get the best idea of what I like, and don’t like, try going through some of my most recent posts or archives.
- SCIENCE FICTION
- literary fiction
- diverse authors and characters
- historical fiction
- ‘chick-lit’ or women’s fiction (I hate this category name though)
- mystery/thriller (pretty picky about this because I am a big wimp)
- science fiction
- historical fiction
What forms to send to me
- physical copy (preferred for Instagram exposure)
- Kindle books
Things to put in your request to save us both time!
- summary of the book
- release date
- a time frame for when YOU expect the review to go live (if I have many at the same time this is a huge factor for me!)
- any other relevant info
If I accept/receive the book, what are the next steps?
IF I accept or receive your book, know that I cannot guarantee it is read immediately (and posted). I try my absolute best, but there are things in the works and books I am already working under deadlines for. I also have a family, life plans, my job, things like that. I make my blog a huge priority and am very motivated, but that is something we both need to keep in mind.
If the book hasn’t been published yet, I am more free when to post (and can listen to your feedback more). Generally, I try to post my review one to two weeks before the release date and always give a link to preorder the book. That way people can get excited about the book. If you would like something different, tell me from the start.
I always update my goodreads when the book goes live so that I have a nice record at the end of the year. I cross post on Amazon and Goodreads.
General, BUT IMPORTANT other things
My reviews are always my honest opinion and I am unwilling to compromise that. If I do not enjoy your books, my review will be fair. I always try to find the good and bad aspects, but sometimes there is just no getting around a giant hole, or a crumbling plot line. Just because I have been sent the book does NOT mean I will write a unanimous positive review and if you are not okay with the possibility of a negative review, please don’t send it to me. My time is precious, and if I have read a book that is not worth it, I feel it my duty to let my followers know as well (of course in a fair light). When you send me a review, it is a sign that you have acknowledged the possibility of a negative (honorable and respectful) review. I understand that the book is like your child, an extension of yourself, but it is not personal and so please do not send me a negative response afterwards.
I am currently pretty backlogged so please do not expect an immediate reply and currently I am scheduling reviews about 3-4 months in advance so please take that into consideration.
What else will I do? I enjoy
- author interviews (but only ones I have a really good knowledge of, preferably a longstanding relationship with their novels)
- giveaways (ONLY of books I have read or will read)
- blog tours that are useful and worthwhile to my readers
- guest blogging if the content is relevant, sure!
What will I NOT do?
- I will not post about a book if I have not read it, or is not on my reading list
- paid reviews
- blogging or content not relevant to my website
And FINALLY, how to contact me now that you’ve gotten to the end of this
utopiastateofmindblog (at) gmail (dot) com