So I feel like I am always being surprised by books. Maybe I have the worst/lowest expectations? I am pretty easy to please. But for today’s Top Ten Tuesday Post (hosted by the lovely That Artsy Reader Girl) I just wanted to focus on the top FIVE books that surprised me recently.
Without Further Ado
I know everyone is so surprised that I haven’t added numbers onto the list. Whenever people ask me to list my top ____ it usually ends up with me saying that number and then adding “but if you’re into this then…” OR it leads to me being like “I don’t even know where to begin”. That’s just kind of where my mind goes with that.
- The Astonishing Color of After. I knew I’d love this one, but I was just taken aback by how much I loved it and exactly where that love would come from. I was astonished by this book (really? no, I just needed to use that word). No I was so happy with the ways this book surprised me.
- Strangers. This book just went in an entirely different direction than I was expecting and the narrative voice was so strong!
- Chaotic Good. I had heard next to nothing about this book, but it touched me at my core. It brought up all these things I denied to myself and hid in the corner.
- Inkmistress. I didn’t fall as much into the hype for Of Fire and Stars, but fell so hard for this one.
- Daughters of the Storm. Wow, the summary had me, but then I read it and I am so hooked for this series!
- Beauty that Remains. It has a great plot line where all these stories come together, and I found a particularly interesting representation in it!
- Poet X. I knew that I would enjoy slam poetry, but what blew me away was the depth.
- Tess of the Road. I thought that I was going to give up on the book, but it did a 180 and captivated me.
- Armored Saint. This took so many different twists and I am so excited for the next one.
- Dangerous Art of Blending In. I really enjoyed this one! I think this was a case of me not knowing what to expect, and then being blown away.
What books surprised you?
Follow Utopia State of Mind on WordPress.com