If you read my review of 10 Things I Hate About Pinky, you would know that it’s my favorite Sandhya Menon book! The latest in the Dimpleverse, this book is full of heart, unlikely pairings, and fake dating! I’m so happy to be included on this street team blog tour! Keep reading to see my 10 reasons you should read this book + my mini review + and a Q&A with Menon!
10 Things I Hate About Pinky
Pinky Kumar wears the social justice warrior badge with pride. From raccoon hospitals to persecuted rock stars, no cause is too esoteric for her to champion. But a teeny-tiny part of her also really enjoys making her conservative, buttoned-up corporate lawyer parents cringe.
Samir Jha might have a few . . . quirks remaining from the time he had to take care of his sick mother, like the endless lists he makes in his planner and the way he schedules every minute of every day, but those are good things. They make life predictable and steady.
Pinky loves lazy summers at her parents’ Cape Cod lake house, but after listening to them harangue her about the poor decisions (aka boyfriends) she’s made, she hatches a plan. Get her sorta-friend-sorta-enemy, Samir—who is a total Harvard-bound Mama’s boy—to pose as her perfect boyfriend for the summer. As they bicker their way through lighthouses and butterfly habitats, sparks fly, and they both realize this will be a summer they’ll never forget.
My Mini Review
10 Things I Hate About Pinky is about two people who seem like they are opposites, learning more about each other, and just maybe falling in love. As someone who fell in love with someone who is almost my opposite in every way, I’ll never get tired of reading these stories. The ways that sometimes people can get expose our flaws and insecurities, to see inside our heart and fears. When we have to admit we can be vulnerable, even though it exposes us to pain, to accept our ability to surprise ourselves. Feeling like the world could tear us apart, like our relationship is balanced on a fault line. 10 Things About Pinky is already a book I want to re-read to fall in love with the characters all over again.
See my full review! Find 10 Things I Hate About Pinky on Goodreads, Amazon, Indiebound, Bookshop.org & The Book Depository.
A Q&A with Sandhya Menon
How did you come up with the idea for 10 Things I Hate about Pinky?
I knew at the time I wrote There’s Something about Sweetie, which was the Dimpleverse companion novel that came before 10 Things I Hate about Pinky, that the two protagonists would be Pinky and Samir. What I didn’t know was what the plot would be or where the story would take place. At the time that I was making those decisions, it was right in the middle of summer and I totally gave into my love (some might say obsession) with summer! That’s why the book is set at a lake house on Cape Cod, features a light house and a butterfly habitat, and has plenty of summery scenes (including of the make out variety!). 🙂
What was your favorite scene to write in 10 Things I Hate about Pinky?
Oh my gosh, so many! Like I said before, I absolutely let my inner summer-lover run wild. There’s a scene where Samir and Pinky (who fake date in the course of the book) practice kissing in a tree that I absolutely looooved writing. There’s a scene where they cook together that my design team loved so much, it almost made the back cover! And I also really just loved in general showing what I like to call Samir’s sneaky hotness. I wanted readers and Pinky to realize at the same time that this seemingly goody-two-shoes guy is actually kind of really hot, and my favorite thing has been getting emails from early readers saying precisely that!
10 Reasons Why You Should Read 10 Things I Hate About Pinky!
- You love opossums OR butterflies. Or if you just generally love animals, these two play a huge role, but Pinky loves animals!
- You’ve been called a social justice warrior. Passionate about activism or a specific cause, you love to advocate for what you love!
- One of your favorite tropes is fake dating. Give you a good, “We have to date, please help me” scenario.
- You love characters who have planners. Give me a highly organized goal driven character any day! That’s me to a T!
- Conflicts with your mother? You love a character who cannot see eye to eye with their mother. Maybe it’s because they get on your nerves, or because you remind them of themselves.
- Enemies to lovers is your favorite unlikely combo. You love that tension, angst, and general sass.
- Family vacations remind you of your childhood OR something you always wished you could do.
- You know exactly what it’s like to have a relative be the epitome of perfection and everyone look to you as the second worst.
- You love hot headed characters who explode out of fear or insecurity because they remind you of yourself.
- You’ve felt that feeling where everyone expects something of you. No matter what you do, they’re convinced about you, before you even have a chance to speak. And, better yet, you want to prove them all wrong.
Find 10 Things I Hate About Pinky on Goodreads, Amazon, Indiebound, Bookshop.org & The Book Depository.
One thought on “10 Things I Hate About Pinky Blog Tour”