This question has come up quite a lot recently and I thought, why not answer it myself? Why do I read YA Fiction? There are many reasons why. Each of them has their own flair and reason behind.
- The Blogging Community: Number one is that I see a lot of hype for books through the blogging community. They’re on Twitter, Instagram, Blogs. Predominately, they blog about YA books (usually also an additional genre). That means that when I check and see all the release buzz it’s normally for YA titles. So when I am thinking about what books to buy based on recs and what I’ve seen, they naturally gravitate towards YA.
- New Releases: That means I pick up quite a few new YA titles. It may be just me, but I feel like there is more buzz for YA titles in general too. Although this may have largely to do with 1 and 3. This is like one of those cyclical patterns where I don’t even know why anymore. Is it because of the hype? The recs? The e-galleys? They all just blend into one. But it makes sense that new releases in general get more press and that YA seems to be booming.
- Diversity: I have been actively trying to read more diverse books and most of the ones I am easily finding are in the YA section. This doesn’t mean they aren’t another genre. For example SF or Fantasy, mostly they are. But I am finding that the representation I am seeking is more to be found amongst the YA shelves. Maybe this is because diversity rep in general is becoming more prevalent. And maybe authors nowadays are trying to use this, unlike authors before? I have talked a bit about why I am especially craving diversity within SF/Fantasy and I mostly find it now in YA. (If you have diverse adult SF/Fantasy recs, PLEASE send)
- Popularity: In general, I feel like YA titles are pretty popular too. I find that not only are they popular, but I can get more comments and buzz when I review them. This must pretty much sum up all of the posts into this tight little cyclone I’ve put myself in, but there you have it.
- Nostlagia: In a way, it makes me nostalgic for when I was a YA, which, as you might have guessed, is gone. I am now flatly in the Adult category. Maybe new adult? What does that even mean…
So these are my top 5 reasons I review YA fiction. Why do you read YA fiction?
Subscribe for more reviews