Wow I haven’t written a Top Ten Tuesday….this whole year. Yep, I have been slacking here majorly. I always meant to write one and it never happened. So congratulations to me for finally getting my act together. Thanks to That Artsy Reader Girl for organizing and publishing the prompts!
My Book Wishlist
- Mermaids. I cannot resist mermaids and there aren’t enough books about them! Let’s give vampires a break for a sec okay, and don’t get me wrong I love vampires, but give me some more mermaids! One of my all time faves is Into the Drowning Deep.
- Necromancy. I know that contrast between mermaids and necromancy is enough to give you whiplash, but I have very specific tastes. Some of my faves of The Bone Witch, Undead Girl Gang, and Reign of the Fallen.
- Sisters. Give me all the dynamic and difficult relationships between sisters (and siblings). Some of my faves are Salt, The Sisters Mederos, and Daughters of the Storm.
- Anastasia. I believed I could have been the little Chinese Anastasia girl growing up. I have come to terms with my dreams now, but the dream still existed and it is my fave animated movie to this day. Some of my faves are Sisters of the Crescent Empress, Heart of Iron, and Last of Her Name.
- Assassins. Give me an assassin any day. Bonus points, and preferred, if it’s a girl who can throw knifes. Such kryptonite. Some of my faves are Six of Crows, Beneath the Citadel, & Gilded Wolves.
- Dragons. One of the first dragons I remember loving was the ones in Wild Magic and I’ve had a soft spot for them ever since. Some of my faves are Sisters of Fire, Alchemists of Loom, & Song of the Dead.
- Pirates and Naval Journeys. As someone who always loved boats, but haven’t been on as many as I’d like, give me pirates any day! Some of my favorites of The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe, & Seafire.
- Witches. Wow can you imagine if a book had all of these elements? Witches are some of my very first books I read – fantasy wise – and I can always get behind a good, or bad, witch. Some of my faves are The Bear and the Nightingale, Truthwitch, The Fever King, & The Bone Witch.
- Time travel. Why don’t I see more books with time travel? Some of my faves are Stolen Time, Here and Now and Then, & The Opposite of Always.
- I love a good book with a crew of friends (bonus points if multiple POV). Some of my faves are Immoral Code, This is What it Feels Like, & The Disasters.
24 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday: Things That Make Me Want to Pick Up a Book”
Necromancy is a good one! I really like it but I just don’t read enough of it. Another reason why I really need to read The Bone Witch.
Please do! It’s one of my most favorite underrated series!
We really need more books with mermaids. One of the reasons I loved The Wicked Deep so much was because of the author’s twist on the siren/mermaid mythology.
Happy readings! 😉
Agreed! have you read Sea Witch or To Kill a Kingdom?
I love Into the Drowning Deep so much! I really want more mermaid books like it. Really scary or realistic mermaids. Or both.
YES! I want some more intense mermaid books!
Yes I love books focused on sister relationships and there aren’t enough of them out there! I also love assassins and books with crews of friends-basically Six of Crows was made for me, ha ha!
My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/04/02/top-ten-tuesday-205/
Multi-PoV books about friend groups are one of my favorite things to see too, both in fantasy and in contemporary (…I loved This Is What It Feels Like a lot). And I haven’t read a lot of mermaid books – there aren’t many, at least not in recent YA and adult fantasy? – but their portrayal in Into the Drowning Deep was definitely interesting.
YES THIS IS WHAT IT FEELS LIKE is so amazing. Have you heard of THE DEEPEST ROOTS? I know I want mermaids to become super popular!
Time travel was something that was popular years ago, but I haven’t seen too many books about it these days. Here’s hoping it comes back into fashion soon.
I know, I need time travel to come back into style!
Necromancy, witches, and a group of friends (hey, can we work all of that into one?) are some of my favorite themes as well.
Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!
I want like so many combos of these!
Oh my god, yes! I adore time travel!
Right? Give me MORE TIME TRAVEL
All the mermaids. Especially yes the killer or otherwise nasty variety. Also time travel. Always gets me!
Assassins can usually get my attention too haha!
I know right! Such a winning list and I wonder how many combos I’d read with these elements!
Dragons and time travel are always good. I hope to read The Bear and the Nightingale this month.
It’s such a good book! I hope you enjoy! I just bought myself the UK edition
Wow! What a great list. I did do a double take, going from Mermaids to Necromancy *LOL* Talk about expanding my reading interests 🙂 And thanks for linking to your reviews. More books to explore. At this rate, I’m going to need to start another TBR pile!
I mean, I fully support ALL the TBR piles
Great list! I guess I’d say a crew of friends is one element I’m drawn to when it comes to books; so long as it’s a YA and has romance in it, then it will definitely pique my interest.
Yes! I am so excited for the sequel to SEAFIRE!