I love a good book with friendship in it. I think it’s such an underrated theme. Do I love a cute adorable swoony romance? Do I like steam? Yes. But beyond that I love books about friendships, about toxic friends, and all the ways they have your back. When I was growing up, I needed some more of these friendship stories. The messy complicated relationships you have, the mistakes you make, the ways you can find your way back to your friends.
My Top Picks
So this post was inspired by a recent stream of reads within the last few months that have celebrated friendships in the best of ways. Whether it be friends we crush on, I had so many of these in high school, or friends with rocky beginnings, these friendships have the power to stick with us years later. I’m still in touch with my best high school friends over a decade later. So without further ado, here are some of my recent faves (which would make great holiday presents!)
- Our Year of Maybe – this makes an excellent pre-order and if you do, make sure to fill out the form for your enamel pins!
- Undead Girl Gang. Your best friend, plus zombies, plus the mystery of their death? Yes. I adored this book more than words. This review has a super fun game, Two Truths and a Lie, which I put together!
- Small Town Hearts – which would also be a good pre-order. It’s a book which romance thrown in, but one of the central relationships is our main character’s relationship with her two best friends. And the effect of what happens when it fractures. It’s also full of baking and will make your mouth water.
- The Deepest Roots. This book is severely underrated. Not only is the cover simple, understated, and gorgeous, but it’s a book about three girls, who are also witches. Yes, you read that right. But it’s about more than that. It’s about their challenges, their differences of opinions, and their bond.
- This is What it Feels Like. I want a soundtrack of this book. In it, we grapple with teen motherhood, addiction, and trying to piece together a friendship. There are times when we don’t know what we should say to our best of friends, and this book bridges that gap.
- Darius the Great is Not Okay. Talk about a book about the ultimate friendship. Darius talks about way more than that – family, depression, and a son/father relationship – but at its heart is a story about his friendship. About a friendship that can transcend expectations.
- Beneath the Citadel. This book, and the next, are like if you enjoyed books like Six of Crows, and want something more. Beneath the Citadel has magic, it has heists, and it has a gang of misfits like no other. There’s characters that will make places in your heart, and moments that will break it, before putting it back together.
- The Gilded Wolves. Here’s another pre-order which not only can you get a set of gorgeous character cards (submit your receipt), but there’s also an exclusive Barnes and Nobles version. I hope it is an emerald green or has an embossed image under the dust jacket. Each of these characters have their own pasts, their own talents. They have their own personal missions, combined as a team for one epic quest. Set in this historical Paris setting feels both luxurious and almost forbidden. It’s not just back alleys, it’s decadent hotels the Eiffel Tower. This book is as bright and brilliant as Paris is at night.
Have you read any of these books already? Are any on your list to pre-order? I know three of these are for 2019, but that just means you have some great books about friendship to look forward to!