When I see an article titled, “30 Best Young Adult Novels of the 2010s” you know I am going to be tempted to see how many I have read. Then when you combine that it includes blurbs and recommendations from Eric Smith author of The Girl and the Grove & Don’t Read the Comments, I basically have to right?
I feel like Eric and I have somewhat similar tastes when it comes to books. He represents some of my faves: A Spark of White Fire & A House of Rage and Sorrow by Sangu Mandanna, Internment by Samira Ahmed (all her books, I need Mad, Bad, & Dangerous to Know!), Here & Now & Then by Mike Chen (and A Beginning at the End – which I need to read ASAP), Color Outside the Lines and so many that are coming out next year and beyond! So it’s safe to say that I trust a recommendation from Eric pretty highly. Not to mention that The Girl and the Grove is one of my favorite because of its adoption rep which you know is like SO important to me as a human.
So you’re all here to find out the number right? Well I’ve read 13. I wanna shout out some of my absolute favorites of the list! And one of Eric’s books, Love, Hate, & Other Filters is on there! There’s also mega favorites like Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda and The Hate U Give.
- Starfish by Akemi Dawn Bowman
- Timekeeper by Tara Sim
- The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo (how could I not?!)
- Want by Cindy Pon
But I bet you all wanna know which ones I haven’t read right? Well I’ll tell you and let me know your thoughts on them below! The stars are ones where Eric wrote the blurb in the Paste article (I have written Pasta article like a billion times).
- Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon*
- The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner*
- Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys*
- The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
- This is Where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp*
- Last Seen Leaving by Caleb Roehrig*
- The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness*
- An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir*
- All American Boys by Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely
- Shadowshaper by Daniel Jose Older
- The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson*
- More Happy than Not by Adam Silvera*
- Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
- The Diviners by Libba Bray
- Pointe by Brandy Colbert*
- Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi*
- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
Now I’m going to tell you that I am 100% going to read 9 of those in my TBR. Can you guess which ones? I’m not saying I wont read the others, I’m just talking about some that were already on my radar or are from authors I have loved other books from them! Here’s the original article if you want to tell me how many you’ve read!