Today I am so excited to be participating in The Lightbearers Book Tag! This tag was created by The YA Book Corner in honor of The Light at the Bottom of the World – which comes out October 29th!
The Light at the Bottom of the World
At the end of the twenty-first century, the world has changed dramatically, but life continues one thousand feet below the ocean’s surface. In Great Britain, sea creatures swim among the ruins of Big Ben and the Tower of London, and citizens waver between fear and hope; fear of what lurks in the abyss, and hope that humanity will soon discover a way to reclaim the Earth.
Meanwhile, sixteen-year-old Leyla McQueen has her own problems to deal with. Her father’s been arrested, accused of taking advantage of victims of the Seasickness-a debilitating malaise that consumes people,often claiming their lives. But Leyla knows he’s innocent, and all she’s interested in is getting him back so that their lives can return to normal.
When she’s picked to race in the action-packed London Submersible Marathon, Leyla gets the chance to secure his freedom; the Prime Minister promises the champion whatever their heart desires. The race takes an unexpected turn, though, and presents her with an opportunity she never wanted: Leyla must venture outside of London for the first time in her life, to find and rescue her father herself.
Now, she’ll have to brave the unfathomable waters and defy a corrupt government determined to keep its secrets, all the while dealing with a secretive, hotheaded companion she never asked for in the first place. If she fails, or falls prey to her own fears, she risks capture-and her father might be lost forever.
The Lightbearers Book Tag
As I was thinking of books for each of these six prompts I thought how amazing would it be if I picked all books written by POC authors?! Without further ado, here are all my picks and recommendations – because I wouldn’t recommend if I didn’t love them!
- The LIGHT book cover features the city of London. Name a book that depicts a real or fictional city on its cover. I’m picking Rebel Seoul which is another fabulous SF YA book. Talk about a future with city states and robotic flying suits! The world building jumps off the page and in Rogue Heart the companion novel.
- Leyla McQueen is a champion submersible racer. Name a character you would like to see race against her in the London Submersible Marathon. One of my favorite racer/flyers is Ia from Ignite the Stars. Not only is she a great pilot, she’s kind of a bad ass all around.
- Leyla ventures outside of London for the very first time in LIGHT. Name a book where you enjoyed exploring its world. I am in love with the world in The Bone Witch. I’m not sure I could survive long, because there’s a lot of these giant creatures and it’s a book with necromancy, but I can dream!
- Leyla and Ari are reluctant companions on a long journey. Name a character you would want on an epic adventure with you. Sefia. She is the first one I thought of and hands down my favorite pick. From The Reader Sefia lives in a world where reading isn’t common and it’s very powerful. Sefia is clever, powerful, and also incredibly loyal.
- Leyla is never far from her brolly, or umbrella in LIGHT. Name a character accessory you wish you had. I’m kind of in love with Esha from The Tiger at Midnight. She’s this legendary assassin, but no one could even fathom that she is a girl, but she is. One of her weapons of choice is a whip. Isn’t that so cool?
- Books from the Old World are considered valuable in LIGHT. Name a book that you hope would survive for future generations to read. I hope that Like a Love Story survives. It made me cry big ugly tears. It’s already a historical fiction novel set in 1989 and revolves around AIDS activism and its devastation in the queer community. This book is so fantastic because it’s so heartfelt and was so emotional.
Make sure to leave me a comment with your picks and please do this tag! I nominate everyone who is reading this and specifically Word Wonders, The Book Bratz, Read By Tiffany, Drizzle and Hurricane Books, Green Tea & Paperbacks, and Sprinkles of Dreams.