When Fierce Reads let me know that they wanted to share some love for the next month to some backlist titles I was so excited! Then when I saw the amazing line up full of some of my absolute favorites? Sold! Check out my post where I share some great dancing shoes that reminded me of The Dark and Deepest Red by Anna-Marie McLemore.
The Dark and Deepest Red
Summer, 1518. A strange sickness sweeps through Strasbourg: women dance in the streets, some until they fall down dead. As rumors of witchcraft spread, suspicion turns toward Lavinia and her family, and Lavinia may have to do the unimaginable to save herself and everyone she loves.
Five centuries later, a pair of red shoes seal to Rosella Oliva’s feet, making her dance uncontrollably. They draw her toward a boy who knows the dancing fever’s history better than anyone: Emil, whose family was blamed for the fever five hundred years ago. But there’s more to what happened in 1518 than even Emil knows, and discovering the truth may decide whether Rosella survives the red shoes.
With McLemore’s signature lush prose, Dark and Deepest Red pairs the forbidding magic of a fairy tale with a modern story of passion and betrayal.
Week of 5/12
- Into the Crooked Place by Alexandra Christo
- The Beauty of the Moment by Tanaz Bhathena
- Dark & Deepest Red by Anna-Marie McLemore
Week of 5/19
- Tell Me How You Really Feel by Aminah Mae Safi
- I Wanna Be Where You Are by Kristina Forest
- Bloom by Kevin Panetta; illustrated by Savanna Ganucheau
Week of 5/26
- Symptoms of a Heartbreak by Sona Charaipotra
- Black Girl Unlimited by Echo Brown
- Light it Up by Kekla Magoon
Week of 6/2
- Beyond the Black Door by A.M. Strickland
- The Love Interest by Cale Dietrich
- Last Girl Lied To by L.E. Flynn
Time to Dance!
I am HIGH KEY obsessed with Anna-Marie McLemore. They’re one of my all time auto-buy authors. Sell me anything they’ve written (and I’ve reviewed every of their books). Today I wanted to do something fun and share with you all some of my favorite inspired dancing shoes. Maybe it will inspire you to pick up some, to re-discover some of your favorites, or just inspire you to dance!
- I love these shiny red shoes and they’re the first ones I found!
- These black and shiny metallic pewter just scream dancing! Can’t you imagine them on the dance floor?
- I love that these other red shoes have a different toe shape and are vintage square dancing shoes!
- And if you want some other color options, there’s also yellow and navy!
- But if you want some amazing floral patterns, I adored the multicolored element of these ones.
- These red and green heart ones are so cute!
- These came up when I looked for dance shoes, but these floral low heel shoes are so cute you could wear them anytime!
- Bachata anytime? I love the pattern and how flexible they look!
- I love the silver and black pattern on these almost flat dance shoes. They could be used for so many formal evenings!
But ultimately, the most important thing about dance shoes is that you feel comfortable enough to dance in them!